Today marks my 29th birthday. I can’t believe it’s the last year of my 20s! This year, in particular, is the one I’ve been fearing yet curious about the most as I mentally prepare for my Saturn in return. In astrology, it essentially means this will be a challenging, soul-searching time filled with lots of learning moments!
Before diving into another year, I’m doing some self-reflection and answering a few fun questions from HarperSage, a cool brand that’s more than just about clothes, but also focuses on community, conversations, and designs with the idea of dual personalities.
No matter what age you are at the moment, I encourage you to take a few minutes to answer them, too! I love these types of mental exercises—it’s like doing homework when you’re in school, which prompts you to think about what you’ve learned. But here in the real world, these questions may just allow you to get to know yourself a bit better.
1. How do you relate to the “Duo” concept of “soft and strong” most?
I’ve always been a soft-spoken person but when it comes to something I strongly believe in, I will most definitely speak up.
2. How do you describe what you do? Many Duos do at least a couple of different things.
My main profession is freelance writing beauty, fashion, and lifestyle stories. Half of what I do involves learning, hearing what others have to say, and exploring the world to find inspiration.
3. How would you describe the different sides of yourself and how this influences how you dress?
My style changes all the time—there’s everything from leather jackets, vintage floral dresses, velvet pants, to cowboy boots, and kitten heels in my closet (which is a mess that I need to organize!). I dress according to mood and plans for the day, whether it be a solo walk in the park or a party with friends. But lately, quarantine life just has me in comfy old loungewear at home.
4. What are the challenges of being a Duo? Any tips for navigating it?
Definitely the fact that it makes me indecisive! It’s ironic because I usually don’t have a problem making big decisions as I did for my college choice, signing my first apartment lease, and deciding on a career path, but oftentimes I second-guess myself on the little things. If it’s anything I’ve learned, it’s to trust my gut. That inner voice is usually right.
5. Lots of Duos have secret skills. What’s yours?
Mine is patience. When I was in high school, I ran on the track team. After trying sprinting for a bit, my coach suggested I focus on distance instead because I was better at running longer miles rather than quick sprints. The pace may be different for everyone, but for me and everything that I do, I don’t know any other way than to spend more time doing something I love, and with quality.
6. What are your top two things you do when you need to let loose or unwind?
1) Long runs by the East River. My apartment building faces the water, and I love it since it’s a piece of zen in the midst of NYC. If I’m up to it, I’ll keep going past the Williamsburg Bridge, Brooklyn Bridge, and South Street Seaport. It’s so freeing, and the best feeling on a sunny spring day.
2) Taking an at-home spa day! I live for trying out face masks, moisturizers, lighting candles, and doing manicures.
7. What’s the next thing you want to try outside of your comfort zone?
To think outside the box and create stories that are more personal, relatable, and provide more value to readers.
Today also marks Juneteenth, commemorating June 19, 1865, the actual day African Americans were free (which was more than two years after the Emancipation Proclamation was signed and slavery was formally ended).
There’s no better time than now to look up and learn the history behind Juneteenth. It’s inspiring to see the Black Lives Matter movement going strong and progress towards a better society.
Sometimes, we may need to take some time to reflect on the past in order to move forward. Above all, we have ONE life—let’s live with intention to be better humans, to crush our goals, and lift others up while doing so!
Sending so much love and light. ❤️